- Prepare desired bowl molds; set aside. In a medium bowl let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a large cookie sheet with foil; lightly grease foil. Set aside. In a small bowl combine melted butter, creme de menthe, and vanilla; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold in about half of the flour. Gently stir in butter mixture. Fold in the remaining flour until thoroughly combined.
- For each cookie, drop a level tablespoon of batter onto the prepared cookie sheet (bake only three or four cookies at a time). Using the back of a spoon, spread batter into 3-inch circles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until cookies are golden brown around edges. Using a wide spatula, immediately remove the cookies and drape, in a single layer, over your desired bowl molds. Cool cookies on molds about 30 minutes or until they hold their shape; then carefully remove. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, pipe or spoon Creme de Menthe Whipped Cream into tuile bowls (or add a small scoop ice cream to each bowl). If desired, garnish each with a raspberry.
From the Test Kitchen
A variety of objects work as molds to form the bowl-shaped cookies. For example, you can drape the warm cookies over overturned shot glasses, ramekins, 1 3/4-inch muffin cups, or individual egg cups cut from an egg carton.
Layer unfilled tuile bowls between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw tuile bowls, if frozen. Fill tuile bowls as directed in Step 5.
Crme de Menthe Whipped Cream
- In a large chilled bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, white creme de menthe, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until medium-stiff peaks form.
Nutrition Facts (Mint Tuiles)
- Per serving:
- 97 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 25 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.