Mini Pumpkin-Chocolate Swirl Cakes
- Allow egg to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, generously grease and lightly flour 6 fluted individual tube pans; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. In a small bowl combine pumpkin and milk. Set bowls aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat egg, granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1/3 cup shortening, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Alternately add flour mixture and pumpkin mixture to egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Divide batter in half.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl microwave 1/2 cup of the chocolate pieces on 100 percent power (high) about 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Stir melted chocolate into one-half of the batter. Divide half of the plain pumpkin batter among the prepared tube pans. Spoon the chocolate batter over pumpkin batter in pans. Top with the remaining plain pumpkin batter. Using a table knife, swirl batters together to marble.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover cakes loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl microwave the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate pieces and 1 teaspoon shortening on high for 30 to 60 seconds or until melted, stirring once. Drizzle melted chocolate over cakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Store for 3 days room temperature in an airtight container or freeze for 1 month (thaw at room temperature).
Nutrition Facts (Mini Pumpkin-Chocolate Swirl Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 235 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 142 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 24 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.