Mini Double-Cheddar Biscuit Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with foil. Lightly grease foil; set baking sheets aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheeses. Add 2 cups cream and buttermilk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and pressing just until dough holds together.
- Roll dough until 1/2 inch thick. Using a fork dipped in flour, prick evenly spaced holes all over dough. Cut dough with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter; reroll scraps as necessary. Place dough circles about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. If desired, cover lightly and chill for up to 1 hour before baking. If desired, brush tops of biscuits with additional cream and sprinkle with thyme.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden, rotating baking sheets if necessary for even browning. Remove biscuits from baking sheets.
- Split biscuits. If desired, spread with mustard. Fill with ham, turkey, and/or beef. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare biscuits as directed through Step 5; cool on wire racks. Place biscuits in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, thaw biscuits if frozen. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until warm. Serve as directed.
To make 1/4 cup sour milk, place 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Mini Double-Cheddar Biscuit Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 90 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 243 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.