Mini Candied-Lemon Vanilla Tarts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For crust, in a food processor,* combine flour and powdered sugar. Cover and process until combined. Add butter. Cover and pulse with on/off turns until mixture forms fine crumbs. Dough will look dry. Press mixture onto the bottoms and the sides of six 6-inch pans. Line the crusts with a double thickness of foil. Bake 12 minutes. Carefully remove foil. Bake 8 to 12 minutes more or until edges are lightly browned and bottom looks dry. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, finely shred 4 teaspoons peel from lemons. Set aside. Squeeze enough juice from lemons to measure 6 tablespoons; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine sugar and flour. Add eggs. Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 3 minutes or until mixture is light in color and slightly thickened. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, butter, and vanilla. Pour into pastry shells. Place tart pans on a baking sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is set and lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, remove from pans, and top tarts with Oven-Candied Lemon Slices. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*TEST KITCHEN TIP:
If you do not wish to use a food processor, combine flour and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture starts to cling together. Pat mixture into pan and continue as directed above.
Oven-Candied Lemon Slices
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Cut lemons crosswise into 1/8-to 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange in a single layer on pan. Sprinkle lemon slices with sugar. Bake in preheated 275 degree F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until lemons are almost dry and covered with sugary glaze. While still warm, loosen slices from paper to prevent sticking.