Minced Pork Salad with Rice and Mint
- In a medium saucepan bring broth and the water to boiling. Stir in brown rice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove 2 1/2 cups of the rice; cool completely. Reserve the remaining rice for another use.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground pork over medium-high heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- In a large bowl combine the 2 1/2 cups cooked rice, the cooked pork, lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, and, if desired, crushed red pepper. Stir in mint leaves, green onions, shallots, and carrot.
From the Test Kitchen
To Serve Salad in Cabbage "Cups:"
Rinse 4 cabbage leaves and pat dry with paper towels. Spoon about 1 1/2 cup of the pork mixture into each cabbage leaf "cup."
Nutrition analysis per serving: 283 calories, 20 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 4 g total sugar, 42% Vitamin A, 29% Vitamin C, 709 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 21% iron
To Serve Salad in Spring Roll Skins:
Working with one skin at a time, soak twelve 8 1/2-inch spring roll skins in a bowl of hot water about 15 seconds or until pliable; remove from water, letting excess water drip off. If desired, put one or two mint leaves down on the spring roll skins. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the pork mixture onto each spring roll skin; roll up skin. If desired, chill spring rolls before serving.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 397 calories, 21 g protein, 46 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 41% Vitamin A, 15% Vitamin C, 717 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 24% iron
Nutrition Facts (Minced Pork Salad with Rice and Mint)
- Per serving:
- 277 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 58 mg chol. ,
- 705 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.