Migas-Stuffed Mexican Toast
- For migas filling, in a medium nonstick skillet cook sausage over medium heat about 5 minutes or until browned, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- Add chopped tortilla, the 1/4 cup salsa, and the 2 eggs to meat in skillet. Cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on the bottom and around the edges. Using a spatula or large spoon, lift and fold the partially cooked egg mixture so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked through but still glossy and moist. Remove from heat.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut a 3-inch pocket about 2 inches deep in the top-crust side of each bread slice, cutting to but not all the way through to the other side. Divide migas filling evenly among bread slices, spooning it into the pocket of each bread slice. Place bread slices in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the 4 eggs, the 1 cup crema, and the hot sauce. Slowly pour the crema mixture over bread slices. Using the back of a wide spatula, press bread down lightly to soak with crema mixture. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours, turning bread slices over once or twice during chilling time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place crushed tortilla chips in a shallow dish. Dip the bread slices in the crushed tortilla chips, turning to coat and pressing lightly to help crushed chips stick.
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Arrange bread slices in prepared baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through baking.
- Serve with avocado, additional salsa, and additional crema.
From the Test Kitchen
To get 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips, start with 4 cups chips. Place chips in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal bag and use a rolling pin to crush finely.
Nutrition Facts (Migas-Stuffed Mexican Toast)
- Per serving:
- 692 kcal ,
- 40 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 356 mg chol. ,
- 1171 mg sodium ,
- 58 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.