Mexican-Style Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Orange Crema
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Prick each sweet potato twice with a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or just until tender. Remove potatoes from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out the cooked pulp from six of the sweet potato halves, leaving shells about 1/4 inch thick and reserving pulp in a large bowl. Remove all the pulp from the remaining sweet potatoes, discarding skins. Add butter, brown sugar, cumin, and salt to the pulp and mash with a potato masher until the mixture is fairly smooth.
- Using a spoon, fill the six shells with mashed potato mixture.
- Transfer the filled sweet potato shells to a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
- In a small bowl combine Mexican crema, orange peel, orange juice, and honey. Drizzle crema mixture over twice-baked sweet potatoes and, if desired, top with pine nuts.
From the Test Kitchen
Transfer the filled sweet potatoes to large airtight freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking.
Nutrition Facts (Mexican-Style Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Orange Crema)
- Per serving:
- 188 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 32 mg chol. ,
- 206 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.