Mexican Short Ribs with Dried Cherries
- In a blender or food processor, combine the sweet peppers and spice. Cover and puree until smooth; set aside. Season beef all over with salt and pepper. Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until deep brown all over, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to a plate and drain all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan.
- Add onion to pan and cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Add red pepper puree to the onion mixture. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add wine and simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.
- Place a disposable slow cooker liner in a 6-quart slow cooker. Combine onion mixture, tomatoes, broth, cherries, and ribs, along with any juices on plate. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove ribs to a platter. Skim excess fat from cooking juices. Serve sauce over ribs and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3. Increase broth to 1 1/2 cups. Add broth, tomatoes, cherries, ribs, plus any juices on plate to the Dutch oven. Bring to boiling. Cover and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until fork tender. Remove ribs to a platter. Skim excess fat from liquid in pan and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour thickened sauce over ribs and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Mexican Beef Stew with Dried Cherries:
Prepare as above, except substitute 3 pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes for the short ribs. Brown in the sprayed Dutch oven half at a time, adding vegetable oil if necessary. Continue as above for slow cooker or oven, except do not remove beef from sauce.
Mexican Chile-Cocoa Spice Mix
- Shake everything together in a small jar, cover and store in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
Nutrition Facts (Mexican Short Ribs with Dried Cherries)
- Per serving:
- 303 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 57 mg chol. ,
- 705 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 29 g pro.