Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in the 3/4 cup sugar, the brown sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and, if desired, cayenne until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in the cocoa powder and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. If necessary, cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl stir together the 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar mixture to coat. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set and tops are cracked. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Dough may be shaped into balls, rolled in cinnamon-sugar mixture, and then frozen until solid on parchment- or foil-lined cookie sheets. When frozen, transfer balls to an airtight container; cover. Store in the freezer. When ready to bake, arrange frozen balls on cookie sheets and bake as directed for 13 to 15 minutes.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles)
- Per serving:
- 118 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 94 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.