Mexican Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- Prepare Baked Pastry Shell; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small saucepan heat the chocolate, cinnamon and butter over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, just until melted; set aside to cool. In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, and cayenne. Stir in the pumpkin and eggs until combined. Gradually stir in half-and-half until combined.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups of the pumpkin mixture into the cooled chocolate mixture. Pour chocolate mixture into baked pastry shell. Gently pour remaining pumpkin mixture over the chocolate layer. If necessary, cover edges of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake for 60 minutes or until edges are puffed and center appears set. Cool on a wire rack. Chill within 2 hours. Serve with Chocolate Ganache. Sprinkle with grated chocolate and chili powder, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Chop 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate and place in a small bowl. Heat 1/4 cup whipping cream to a simmer and pour over chopped chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Immediately spoon over center of cooled pie.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, and salt. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter and shortening until pea-sized. Add 1 tablespoon water over a portion of the flour mixture, tossing gently with a fork. Move moistened dough to the side of the bowl and continue with remaining water until all dough is moistened. Knead together dough in about 6 to 8 strokes until it holds together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch circle. Fold dough into quarters and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate with point in the center; unfold. Trim edges of pastry about 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold the extra pastry under itself to form the edge.
- Crimp edge of pie crust as desired. Poke sides and bottom of crust with a fork. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil and weight the dough with pie weights or dried beans. Bake crust for 10 to 12 minutes or until dry and set. Carefully remove foil and weights and bake another 3 to 4 minutes or until very lightly brown. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Mexican Chocolate Pumpkin Pie)
- Per serving:
- 491 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 143 mg chol. ,
- 365 mg sodium ,
- 57 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 37 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.