Recipes and Cooking Mexican Bread Pudding 4.4 (8) Add your rating & review Satisfy your sweet tooth with this Mexican bread pudding recipe. Cinnamon, cloves, dark rum and pecan syrup infuse each bite of this cinnamon bread pudding with warm flavors that are reminiscent of fall. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on December 1, 2014 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Jason Donnelly Prep Time: 40 mins Cool Time: 15 mins Bake Time: 25 mins Cool Time: 15 mins Total Time: 1 hrs 35 mins Servings: 8 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 cup water 1 cup granulated sugar 6 ounce piloncillo, chopped, or 1 cup packed brown sugar 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel 4 sticks canela (Mexican cinnamon) or other cinnamon 2 whole cloves ½ cup pecans or slivered almonds ⅓ cup raisins Vegetable oil 4 egg whites 2 egg yolks 1 ½ cup milk 2 tablespoon granulated sugar 2 tablespoon dark rum or cream sherry (optional) 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 8 ounce baguette, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices Directions For the cinnamon-pecan syrup, in a medium saucepan combine the water, the 1 cup granulated sugar, the piloncillo, lemon peel, canela, and cloves. Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, until sugars are dissolved and mixture is thickened and syrupy, stirring frequently. Cool for 15 minutes. Strain to remove canela and cloves. Stir in nuts and raisins; set aside (mixture will continue to thicken). Meanwhile, in a heavy large skillet heat 1/2 inch of oil to 350°F. In a large bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff but not dry. In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks about 1 minute or until light and frothy. Gently fold egg yolks into egg whites. In a large bowl combine milk, the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, the rum (if using), and vanilla; stir to dissolve sugar. Dip one bread slice into milk mixture, turning to coat all sides and shaking gently over bowl to remove excess liquid. Dip the bread slice into the egg mixture, turning to coat well. Place coated bread slice in the hot oil in skillet; fry about 2 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Transfer fried bread to paper towels. Repeat with the remaining bread and dipping mixtures, cooking about one-third of the slices at a time and reheatiing oil between batches. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with half of the bread slices. Spoon half of the cinnamon-pecan syrup over bread slices. Repeat with the remaining bread slices and syrup. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until syrup bubbles and begins to caramelize. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 489 Calories 21g Fat 71g Carbs 6g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 8 Calories 489 % Daily Value * Total Fat 21g 27% Saturated Fat 3g 15% Cholesterol 50mg 17% Sodium 209mg 9% Total Carbohydrate 71g 26% Total Sugars 55g Protein 6g Vitamin C 0.6mg 3% Calcium 89mg 7% Iron 0.6mg 3% Potassium 199mg 4% Folate, total 11.2mcg Vitamin B-12 0.3mcg Vitamin B-6 0.1mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.