Mediterranean Hummus-Style Soup
- Rinse beans. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine beans and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Drain and rinse beans. Place beans in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add broth, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting 5 to 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Chop enough pita bread into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces to measure 2 cups; toss with the oil. Spread in a shallow baking pan. Bake 12 to 13 minutes or until crisp, stirring once.
- Stir yogurt, tahini, and lemon juice into cooker. Using an immersion blender,** carefully blend soup. Stir in parsley.
- Serve soup topped with toasted pita bread, sweet pepper, and, if desired, sesame seeds.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast sesame seeds, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread sesame seeds in a shallow baking pan. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
If you don't have an immersion blender, cool slightly and process in batches in a regular blender.
Nutrition Facts (Mediterranean Hummus-Style Soup)
- Per serving:
- 351 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 768 mg sodium ,
- 47 g carb. ,
- 12 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.