Meatballs and Stuffed Zucchini
- For tomato sauce: In a medium bowl combine chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, marjoram, olive oil, and 1/2 tsp. of the salt; set aside.
- Using a corer, hollow out each whole zucchini, being careful not to pierce its walls. Discard center flesh; set zucchini aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl combine beef, bread crumbs, eggs, cheese, parsley, half-and-half, garlic, remaining 1 tsp. salt, and black pepper. Divide mixture in half. Using a spoon, fill zucchini with half the mixture, packing lightly. (Filling will expand while baking.) Shape remaining mixture into twelve 11/2-inch meatballs.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce into bottom of a 3-qt. rectangular baking dish. Arrange zucchini in dish; spoon half of remaining sauce on top; cover with foil. Arrange meatballs in a 2-qt. baking dish; spoon remaining sauce over meatballs.
- Bake zucchini 50 minutes or until thermometer inserted in meat mixture registers 160 degrees F and zucchini is tender, turning zucchini once. Bake meatballs, uncovered, the last 30 minutes or until done (160 degrees F). Cool zucchini slightly; slice into 1-inch coins.
- TIP: To make fresh bread crumbs, trim crust off day-old bread. Tear or cut into pieces. In a food processor, pulse until crumbs form.
From the Test Kitchen
Use kitchen scissors to coarsely chop the tomatoes right in the can.
Nutrition Facts (Meatballs and Stuffed Zucchini)
- Per serving:
- 354 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 120 mg chol. ,
- 1142 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.