- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place sweet pepper quarters, cut sides down, on the prepared baking sheet. Roast, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until pepper quarters are charred. Wrap peppers in the foil; let stand for 20 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, peel and discard skins from pepper quarters. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl stir together 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, the ricotta cheese, and goat cheese or Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- To assemble, spread 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer two of the cooked noodles in the dish. Arrange cooked meatballs in a single layer on top of noodles in dish. Add two more of the cooked noodles. Top with the ricotta cheese mixture, spreading evenly. Arrange sweet pepper pieces over ricotta mixture. Top with the remaining two cooked noodles. Spread the remaining pasta sauce over noodles.
- Bake, covered, for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with fresh basil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; set aside. In a large bowl combine roasted red peppers, bread crumbs, egg, tomato sauce, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape meat mixture into 24 meatballs. Place meatballs in the prepared pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until cooked through (160 degrees F). Transfer meatballs to a tray.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Place cooked meatballs in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Meatball Lasagna)
- Per serving:
- 255 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 66 mg chol. ,
- 423 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.