Texas-Style Brisket with Five-Alarm Sauce
- For seasoning rub, in a small mixing bowl combine seasoned salt, the 1 teaspoon paprika, and pepper. To prepare meat, rub seasoning mixture onto meat (do not trim fat.) Cover meat and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
To prepare wood chunks or chips:
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chunks (for smoker) or wood chips (for grill) in enough water to cover. Drain.
- For brushing sauce, in a small mixing bowl combine dry red wine, the 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, coriander, and the dash red pepper. Set aside.
- Let meat stand for 15 minutes. Remove fat with a sharp knife. Bias-slice meat very thinly across the grain. Arrange meat on plates and top with some of the Five-Alarm Sauce; pass remaining sauce. Makes 8 servings.
- In a small saucepan stir together catsup; tomato, green sweet pepper, onion, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and the ground red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until green pepper is crisp-tender. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes about 2 cups.
From the Test Kitchen
If using a smoker:
Arrange preheated coals, drained wood chunks, and water pan according to manufacturers directions. Pour water into pan. Place brisket on grill rack over water pan. Brush with brushing sauce. Cover and grill for 4 to 5 hours or until tender. Add more coals, wood chunks, and water as necessary, and brush with brushing sauce once or twice.
If using a charcoal grill:
Arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Pour 1-inch of water into the drip pan. Sprinkle some of the drained wood chips onto the preheated coals. Test for slow heat above the pan. Place brisket, fat side up, on the grill rack over the drip pan. Cover and grill about 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Brush meat with brushing sauce every 30 minutes and add more coals, drained wood chips, and water for the drip pan as needed.
If using a gas grill:
Preheat grill. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Place brisket, fat side up, on grill rack over medium heat. Follow your manufacturers directions for the placement of wood chips. Pour 1-inch of water into a drip pan and place directly on rack over the lit side of grill. Cover and grill 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Brush meat with brushing sauce every 30 minutes and add water for the drip pan as needed.
Nutrition Facts (Texas-Style Brisket with Five-Alarm Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 287 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 78 mg chol. ,
- 871 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 26 g pro.