Szechwan Shredded Beef and Carrots
- Trim fat from beef. Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across grain into bite-size strips. Cut strips in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together sherry, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, bean sauce or paste, sugar, ginger, sesame oil, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and garlic. Set aside.
- Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry carrots in hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove carrots from the wok.
- Add beef to the hot wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through. Push beef from the center of the wok.
- Stir sauce. Add sauce to the center of the wok. Cook and stir until bubbly. Return cooked carrots to the wok. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately with hot cooked rice. Sprinkle rice with green onions. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare vegetables; cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Szechwan Shredded Beef and Carrots)
- Per serving:
- 314 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 54 mg chol. ,
- 1086 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 24 g pro.