Pork Roast with Tabbouleh Stuffing
- Combine bulgur with enough water to cover; let stand 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly. For stuffing, in a mixing bowl combine bulgur, tomatoes, onions, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, mint, and salt; toss to mix.
- Place pork roast rib side down. On the meaty side, cut a 3-1/2-inch-long and 1-inch-deep pocket above each rib, making 8 to 10 pockets. Spoon bulgur mixture into pockets.
- Transfer roast, rib side down, to a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle meat with a little salt and pepper. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast, making sure the bulb does not touch bone or rest in stuffing.
- Roast in a 325 degree F oven for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 155 degrees F. To prevent stuffing from overbrowning, cover loosely with foil after 1 hour of roasting. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Slice roast between ribs to serve. Serve with Cucumber Relish, if desired. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If you use oil-packed dried tomatoes, drain and chop them. For dry-packed tomatoes, pour boiling water over tomatoes and let stand for 2 minutes; drain and snip.
- Halve cucumbers lengthwise. Seed and finely chop 2 large cucumbers (you should have about 2-3/4 cups). In a glass or stainless-steel mixing bowl combine cucumbers with 1 small onion, finely chopped; 1/3 cup shredded carrot; 1/4 cup lemon juice or vinegar; 2 tablespoons sugar; and 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Makes 3-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Roast with Tabbouleh Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 258 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 77 mg chol. ,
- 153 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 25 g pro.