Italian Sausage-Mushroom Calzones
- Cook 1/2 cup chopped onion, green sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil. Stir in tomatoes; tomato sauce; basil; oregano; fennel seed, if using, sugar; pepper; ground red pepper; and chili powder. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage, mushrooms, and 1/2 cup onion until sausage is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Pat with paper towels to remove additional fat. Stir in 1 cup of the sauce. (Transfer remaining sauce to a sealed container and chill or freeze for another use.)
- Unroll one package of pizza dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15x10-inch rectangle; cut into six 5-inch squares. Repeat with remaining package of pizza dough.
- Divide meat mixture among the 12 squares; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Brush edges with water. Lift one corner and stretch dough over to the opposite corner. Seal edges by pressing with tines of fork.
- Arrange calzones on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick tops with a fork. Brush tops with milk; sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano cheese. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare pizza sauce; cool. Transfer to freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using.
Nutrition Facts (Italian Sausage-Mushroom Calzones)
- Per serving:
- 566 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 66 mg chol. ,
- 1429 mg sodium ,
- 51 g carb. ,
- 30 g pro.