Individual Beef Wellington
- In a small bowl stir together salt, pepper, and marjoram. Rub salt mixture over steaks, coating all sides.
- Cut thawed pastry into 2 portions. Spread 1 tablespoon pate over one side of each steak. Place a steak, pate side down, on the center of each portion of pastry. Wrap pastry around meat. Trim excess pastry from ends; seal ends.
- Place pastry-wrapped meat, seam sides down, in a greased, shallow baking pan. Brush pastry with beaten egg white. If desired, reroll trimmings to make cutouts. Place cutouts on pastry-wrapped meat. Brush with beaten egg white.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until pastry is golden and meat is medium-rare. If desired, test doneness of meat by inserting a meat thermometer into pastry-wrapped meat. Medium-rare is 145 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine water, dry red wine, finely chopped shallot or onion, instant beef bouillon granules, dried thyme, crushed; and 1 bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup. Remove bay leaf.
- Stir together softened margarine or butter and all-purpose flour. Add to wine mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in snipped parsley. Serve with pastry-wrapped beef. Makes 2 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Recipe may be doubled to serve 4.
Nutrition Facts (Individual Beef Wellington)
- Per serving:
- 743 kcal ,
- 45 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 122 mg chol. ,
- 985 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 36 g pro.