Hearty Meat Pizza
- Cook the 3/4 cup chopped onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil. Stir in tomatoes; tomato sauce; bay leaf; basil; oregano; fennel seed, if using; sugar; and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl combine 1-1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, and the salt. Add warm water and 2 tablespoons oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease two 11- to 13-inch pizza pans or baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface roll each half of dough into a circle 1 inch larger than pizza pan. Transfer to pans. Build up edges slightly. Flute edges, if desired. Prick dough generously with a fork. Do not let rise. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground beef and/or sausage and the 1 cup chopped onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Spread pizza sauce over hot crusts. Sprinkle with beef mixture. Top with pepperoni, Canadian-style bacon, and green sweet pepper. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes more or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare pizza dough; divide into 2 equal portions. Place in plastic freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using. Prepare pizza sauce; cool. Transfer to freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using.
Nutrition Facts (Hearty Meat Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 699 kcal ,
- 33 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 98 mg chol. ,
- 1427 mg sodium ,
- 57 g carb. ,
- 42 g pro.