Ham Souffle Roll
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil 1 inch beyond edges of pan. Grease and lightly flour the foil.
- In a medium saucepan melt margarine or butter. Stir in flour and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl slowly stir thickened mixture into egg yolks.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold a little of the beaten whites into the yolk mixture. Fold the yolk mixture into the remaining beaten egg whites. Spread in the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until the souffle is puffed and slightly set and a knife comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place a long piece of heavy foil (about 22x18 inches) on a large baking sheet. Generously grease the foil. Immediately loosen the baked souffle from the pan. Place the foil-lined baking sheet over the souffle. Invert souffle onto the foil-lined baking sheet. Carefully peel off foil on top of souffle.
- Place ham and cheese in a thin layer on top of souffle. Use foil on the baking sheet to lift and help roll up souffle from one of the short sides. (Don't roll the foil inside.) Lift souffle roll with the foil into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Cover roll with the foil. Chill for up to 24 hours.
- Before serving heat souffle roll, covered with the foil, in a 375 degree F oven about 40 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, if desired prepare Parsley Sauce. For sauce, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine parsley, shallots or onions, and basil. Cover; blend or process until finely chopped. Add cream, cornstarch, and mustard. Cover; blend or process until mixture thickens just slightly (about 30 seconds). Be careful not to overblend or you will end up with butter. Transfer mixture to a screw-top jar. Cover; chill for up to 24 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
When ready to serve, shake sauce in the jar. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Makes 8 servings.
Unwrap the foil from souffle roll and loosen the ends of the roll where the cheese melted onto the foil. Using the foil, lift souffle from pan. Use large spatulas to transfer the roll to a warm platter, or lift foil and roll souffle out onto the serving platter. If desired, drizzle with a little sauce.
Garnish with whole cranberries and green onion tops, if desired. To serve, slice with a serrated knife. Serve sauce over slices. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Ham Souffle Roll)
- Per serving:
- 281 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- 235 mg chol. ,
- 583 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 17 g pro.