- Bring a small amount of water to boiling in a large saucepan; add asparagus and carrots. Return to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 3 minutes. Drain well. Set aside. Lightly coat a grilling tray or vegetable grilling basket with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush all vegetables with the 2 tablespoons olive oil and place on the prepared grilling tray or in prepared vegetable grilling basket.
- Grill vegetables in an uncovered grill directly over medium heat until tender, turning occasionally with long-handled tongs. Monitor grilling carefully so vegetables don't char; a few grill marks are fine. Allow 2 to 3 minutes for tomatoes, 3 to 5 minutes for asparagus and carrots, 5 to 6 minutes for zucchini, 8 minutes for eggplant, and 8 to 10 minutes for onion and sweet pepper. Remove vegetables from grill as done. Coarsely chop.
- Slice sausage into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick slices. Stir together sausage, grilled vegetables, and sauce in a large skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking oil or nonstick cooking spray. Slice polenta into 8 slices; place on prepared baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot.
- To serve, place 2 polenta rounds on each dinner plate. Top with vegetable-sausage mixture. Garnish with basil, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 meat.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Ratatouille)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1295 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 8 g fiber ,
- 18 g pro.