Fruit-Stuffed Pork Roast with Pineapple-Ginger Sauce
- In a mixing bowl pour enough boiling water over fruit, onion, and vinegar to cover. Let stand for 30 minutes; drain well.
- Add bread crumbs, margarine or butter, salt, pepper, and cloves to fruit. Toss gently to mix.
- Untie roast to separate the two loins; trim fat. To butterfly each loin for stuffing, make a single lengthwise cut down the center of the loin, cutting to within 1/2 inch of the other side. Spread open. Make another lengthwise slit to the right of the first cut and a third slit to the left. Cover each loin with clear plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to 1/2- to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Place meat rectangles side by side with long sides overlapping about 1 inch.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread stuffing onto meat. Starting from one long side, roll up the meat and stuffing jelly-roll style, rolling the second rectangle of meat into the first rectangle. Tightly retie the roast. Place the meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer.
- Roast in a 325 degree F oven for 1-1/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until the thermometer reads 160 degrees F (medium) to 170 degrees F (well done). If desired, brush with jelly the last 15 minutes.
- Cover meat with foil; let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Slice and serve with Pineapple-Ginger Sauce; garnish with fresh crab apples and thyme, if desired. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To prepare the sauce up to two days ahead, cool slightly in a storage container. Cover the surface with clear plastic wrap and refrigerate. Just before serving, transfer to a saucepan and cook and stir over low heat until heated through.
- In a medium saucepan stir together packed brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in unsweetened pineapple juice, balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar, grated ginger root, and salt. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Makes about 1-1/3 cups sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit-Stuffed Pork Roast with Pineapple-Ginger Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 244 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 184 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 20 g pro.