Deep-Dish Steak and Vegetable Pie
- Prepare the Whole Wheat Pastry and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown meat, half at a time, in oil. Drain fat, if needed. Return all of the meat to skillet. Stir in broth, wine, garlic, marjoram, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling. Add parsnips. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan melt margarine or butter. Add sweet pepper, carrot, and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in flour. Add half-and-half or cream; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the meat mixture; add the peas. Heat through. Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart casserole; set aside.
- On lightly floured surface, roll the Whole Wheat Pastry into a circle 2 inches larger than the diameter of the top of casserole and about 1/4 inch thick. Prick pastry a few times with a fork. Center pastry over top of casserole. Trim pastry 1 inch beyond edge of the casserole. Turn pastry edge under and press gently to adhere to edge of casserole. If desired, use pastry scraps to make small vegetable decorations. Brush crust with beaten egg. If using pastry decorations, place atop crust and brush again with egg.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Makes: 6 main-course servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Chop vegetables; cover and chill up to 24 hours.
Whole Wheat Pastry
- In a mixing bowl stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and salt. Cut in butter until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat until all is moistened, using 1 to 2 tablespoons additional cold water. Form dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap until needed.