Deep-Dish Beef Pie
Beef and Vegetables:
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat over medium-high heat. Brown half the meat in skillet. Remove. Add oil. Brown remaining meat. Return all meat to skillet.
- Stir in onion, celery, carrots, turnip, tomato juice, thyme, salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 cup water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes or until meat is nearly tender.
- Combine the 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and the baking powder. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons cold water, one tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork until mixture holds together. Form into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a circle 1 inch larger than the top of the casserole. Cover with plastic wrap while finishing filling.
- Combine the 1 tablespoon flour and 2 tablespoons water. Stir into skillet mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in green beans. Spoon into a 1-1/2-quart casserole. Cover with pastry; flute edges. Brush with skim milk. Cut vents for steam.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned and meat and vegetables are tender.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare pastry but do not roll it out. Wrap in plastic wrap or place in plastic bag; seal and chill up to 24 hours. Allow pastry to come to room temperature before using.
Nutrition Facts (Deep-Dish Beef Pie)
- Per serving:
- 283 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- 48 mg chol. ,
- 473 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 22 g pro.