Basil-and-Mushroom-Stuffed Pork Spirals with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Trim any fat from meat. Using a sharp knife make a lengthwise cut down the center of the pork tenderloin, cutting to but not through the other side. Spread meat open. Place between two pieces of plastic wrap. Working from the center to the edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to form an 11x7-inch rectangle. Fold in the narrow ends as necessary to make an even rectangle.
- Remove stems from spinach leaves. Layer leaves on top of each other; slice crosswise into thin strips. Stir together spinach, mushrooms, basil, bread crumbs, shredded Parmesan cheese, and egg white in a medium bowl. Spread evenly over pork. Roll up pork jelly-roll style, beginning at a short side. Tie with heavy cotton string at 1-1/2-inch intervals. Brush all surfaces of meat with the 1 teaspoon olive oil; sprinkle with pepper.
- In a covered grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place meat on the grill rack directly over the pan; not over the coals. Cover and grill for 25 to 30 minutes or until juices run clear (160 degrees F.)
- Or, preheat gas grill. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Test for medium heat where pork will cook. Place pork on grill rack over medium heat. Cover and grill as directed.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, place roasted peppers, the 2 teaspoons olive oil, wine vinegar, garlic, and salt in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend, using several on-off turns, until pureed. Transfer sauce to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until heated through
- To serve, remove strings from pork. Slice pork and serve with warm sauce. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To roast sweet peppers, quarter peppers; remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place pieces, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until skins are blistered and dark. Wrap in the foil and let stand for 15 minutes. Using a sharp knife, peel skin from peppers in strips. Discard skins. Cover and chill peppers up to 24 hours before using.
Nutrition Facts (Basil-and-Mushroom-Stuffed Pork Spirals with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 176 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 146 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 22 g pro.