- In a small saucepan, combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, sugar, oil, vinegar, garlic, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine meat, salt, and black pepper; mix well. Shape meat mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Place patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until done (160 degrees F),* turning once and brushing often with sauce. Discard any remaining sauce.
- Serve burgers on buns topped with Fresh n Spicy Salsa. If desired, serve with lettuce, cornichons, radish halves, and/or cucumber slices. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
**Test Kitchen Tip:
Because chile peppers can contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working, with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
*Test Kitchen Tip:
The internal color of a burger is not a reliable doneness indicator. A beef patty cooked to 160 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a patty, insert an instant-read thermometer through the side of the patty to a depth of 2 to 3 inches.
Fresh N Spicy Salsa
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes; red onion; cilantro; serrano chile pepper;** lime juice; and, if desired, honey. Cover and chill until serving time. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (All-American Burgers)
- Per serving:
- 336 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 71 mg chol. ,
- 572 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 25 g pro.