Marsala Poached Pears with Spiced Creme Fraiche
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker stir together orange juice, marsala, the 2/3 cup brown sugar, the stick cinnamon, and, if desired, star anise.
- Core each pear from the bottom, leaving the stem intact. If desired, use a citrus peeler or paring knife to cut a strip in a spiral from the top to the bottom of each pear. If necessary, slice the bottoms off pears to allow them to stand upright. Stand pears up in cooker. Spoon orange juice mixture over pears.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting (do not use low-heat setting) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Using a slotted spoon transfer pears to dessert plates, reserving orange juice mixture in cooker. On high-heat setting cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes more.*
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together creme fraiche, the 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and the apple pie spice; set aside.
- To serve, stir pomegranate seeds into orange juice mixture; remove and discard stick cinnamon and star anise. Spoon orange juice mixture over pears. Top each pear with a spoonful of the creme fraiche mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Instead of cooking the orange juice mixture for 20 minutes longer in the slow cooker, you can transfer the liquid to a small saucepan and bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until syrupy.
Nutrition Facts (Marsala Poached Pears with Spiced Creme Fraiche)
- Per serving:
- 390 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 17 mg chol. ,
- 403 mg sodium ,
- 87 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 66 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.