Marmalade Glazed Turkey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a small bowl stir together herbe de Provence, black pepper, smoked salt, garlic power and red pepper.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey; discard. Rinse turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Starting at the neck end of the turkey, loosen the skin by sliding your fingers underneath it, being careful not to tear it. Slide your hand as far as you can toward the opposite end of the turkey, separating the skin from the meat. Rub dried herb mixture underneath the skin over the entire breast, working toward the thighs as much as possible. If desired, spoon Cornbread Chorizo Stuffing into body and neck cavities of turkey.
- Tuck drumstick ends under band of skin across tail, if available. If there is no band of skin, tie drumsticks securely to the tail using 100-percent cotton kitchen string. Twist wing tips under back. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Rub oil and remaining herb mixture over the entire bird. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle. The thermometer should not touch bone. Cover turkey loosely with foil. Roast for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small saucepan combine brandy, marmalade, vinegar, snipped sage, and the 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 8 minutes or until slightly syrupy and reduced to about 1 cup. Remove from heat; stir in butter and orange peel. Set aside to cool.
- Remove foil; cut band of skin or string between drumsticks so thighs will cook evenly. Brush turkey with half of the glaze. Roast for 1 to 1-1/4 hours more or until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F, and if stuffed, the center of the stuffing should be 165 degrees F. (The juices should run clear and drumsticks should move easily in their sockets.) Remove from oven. Brush with remaining glaze.
- Cover turkey with foil; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Transfer turkey to a cutting board.
Chorizo-Corn Bread Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease twelve 8- to 10-ounce casseroles or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan or dish; set aside.*
- In a large skillet, cook sausage for 10 to 15 minutes until cooked through; drain fat. Transfer sausage to a large bowl, set aside.
- Carefully wipe out skillet. Melt butter in the skillet. Add onions, fennel, celery and garlic. Cook in hot butter for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable mixture and corn bread stuffing mix to sausage in bowl; toss to combine. In a medium bowl combine chicken broth and eggs; add to sausage mixture. Toss to combine. (For moister stuffing, add 1/2 cup water.)
- Transfer to prepared casseroles or pan. Cover; bake 20 minutes for individual casseroles (35 minutes for pan). Uncover; bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until heated through (165 degrees F) and top is lightly browned.
From the Test Kitchen
Omit casserole dishes if stuffing the turkey.
Nutrition Facts (Marmalade Glazed Turkey)
- Per serving:
- 544 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 222 mg chol. ,
- 336 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 63 g pro.