Recipes and Cooking Margarine Chocolate Chip Cookies 3.2 (11) By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on June 7, 2013 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 40 mins Bake Time: 8 mins Total Time: 48 mins Servings: 12 Yield: 60 cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 cup 80% fat margarine (100 calories per tablespoon) 1 cup packed brown sugar ½ cup granulated sugar ½ teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon salt 2 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour 1 12 ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces or miniature candy-coated semisweet chocolate pieces 1 ½ cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts (filberts), toasted if desired (optional) Directions Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl beat margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until mixture is combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces and, if desired, nuts. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 9 minutes or until edges are just light brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely. TO STORE: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 98 Calories 5g Fat 13g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 12 Calories 98 % Daily Value * Total Fat 5g 6% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Cholesterol 7mg 2% Sodium 69mg 3% Total Carbohydrate 13g 5% Total Sugars 8g Protein 1g Calcium 10.1mg 1% Iron 0.5mg 3% Potassium 36mg 1% Fatty acids, total trans 1g Folate, total 12.1mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.