Maple Sage Turkey
- Partially thaw turkey in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days or until breast meat gives when pressed; it is fine if the turkey is still somewhat frozen. Remove turkey from packaging; pat dry.
- For rub, in a small bowl mix salt, sugar, dried sage, and black pepper. Rub evenly over turkey. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 days or until fully thawed. Remove plastic wrap the night before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove neck and giblets from turkey cavity. Loop kitchen string around drumsticks; tie securely to tail. Pour 2 cups hot water into roasting pan with turkey. Turn heat down to 350 degrees F. Roast turkey, uncovered, for 2 hours. (If breast browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil.)
- For glaze, in a small saucepan heat maple syrup, butter, orange peel, chipotle, and peppercorns until warm. After 2 hours of roasting, generously brush turkey with maple mixture every 20 minutes for 40 to 60 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in the thigh (not touching bone) registers at least 175 degrees F. Remove turkey from oven. Tent loosely with foil; let stand 15 minutes. Reserve drippings for gravy.
From the Test Kitchen
Once the bird is dry-brined, no more work until roasting. Slip it straight into the oven and finish it with the glaze.
Nutrition Facts (Maple Sage Turkey)
- Per serving:
- 407 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 186 mg chol. ,
- 1197 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 55 g pro.
schlote2 641 Days Ago
I've made this the past two Thanksgivings and both times it was wonderful. The easiest and best turkeys I've made.
Luwin Lewis 660 Days Ago
My Hispanic daughter-in-law showed us that she can REALLY cook this Thanksgiving. Thanks to my gift subscription to H&G, she picked this recipe for Thanksgiving. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS and then some!