Maple-Mocha Pull-Apart Bread with Almonds
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, the cocoa powder, and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and whisk together the next five ingredients (through salt) just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add egg. Beat with a mixer on low 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- While dough is rising, in a medium saucepan bring heavy cream to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 12 to 14 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 Tbsp. butter. Cool 10 minutes. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup maple syrup. For icing, remove 3 Tbsp. of the syrup mixture to a small bowl; stir in powdered sugar and enough milk to make a thick drizzling consistency; cover and set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into quarters. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Generously grease a 10-inch fluted tube pan.
- Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 20 inches long. Cut ropes into 1-inch pieces. Roll each piece in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Spoon half of the remaining cooled syrup mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with almonds. Arrange half the dough pieces in pan on top of almonds. Sprinkle with half of the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture. Drizzle remaining syrup mixture over dough pieces in pan. Arrange remaining dough pieces in in the pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers between 190 degrees F to 200 degrees F. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Loosen sides and center with a thin metal spatula or table knife. Invert onto a serving platter. Spoon any syrup and nuts that remain in pan over bread. Cool about 30 minutes. Drizzle with the maple icing before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead
After assembling pull-apart bread in pan, cover with plastic wrap and chill 8 to 24 hours. Before baking, remove pan from refrigerator and let stand, covered, 1 1/2 hours. Discard plastic wrap and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Maple-Mocha Pull-Apart Bread with Almonds)
- Per serving:
- 352 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 40 mg chol. ,
- 197 mg sodium ,
- 56 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 29 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.