Mango Chicken Tinga
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker place onion and mango. Top with chicken, chipotle pepper, garlic, salt, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. Pour tomatoes, chicken broth, and mango nectar over all. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 21/2 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from cooker; cool slightly.
- Remove chicken bones. Discard bones and shred chicken. Return shredded chicken to cooking liquid.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken mixture to shallow bowls. Add a big spoonful of cooked white rice to each bowl. Spoon broth around rice and chicken and serve, if desired, with pineapple wedges, lime wedges, sliced green onions, and Mexican crema.
From the Test Kitchen
Other serving suggestions: For Mango-Chicken Tinga, add it to huevos rancheros. Use it as a filling for burritos, enchiladas, empanadas, or tortas. Serve the tinga on warmed corn or small flour tortillas for tacos. Serve it on crisp corn tortillas for tostadas.
Nutrition Facts (Mango Chicken Tinga)
- Per serving:
- 296 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 86 mg chol. ,
- 789 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.
How To Video
-1 each poblano, annaheim, and jalapeño chiles
-3 canned chipotles in adobo, plus liquid from the can to blend in the food processor
-3 stalks of celery, diced
-full 10oz can of mango nectar
-double all of the spices in the original (you should do this for sure)
-dash of jamaican allspice
-1tsp fresh ground ginger (buy a tiny nubby root bit at the grocer's for less than $0.25)
I started this recipe in a stock pot on the stove instead of the slow cooker. I sauteed the onions first with celery, added ginger and peppers and stirred until combined and wilted, 10 mins. I then added spices, mangoes, and liquids, put a cover on to bring it to a simmer. Then I added chicken thighs (might use breast next time) and brought to a full boil covered, then put the whole thing into a 350 oven. The other reviewer was spot on, 1 hour cook time plus a little extra to thoroughly coat the shredded chicken.
And oh my gosh, yum. Kale would be great in this.