Mandarin Cream Salad with Coconut-Crumb Crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together crushed cookies, coconut, melted butter, and orange peel until combined. Pat mixture evenly into the bottom of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until crust is light brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, stir together gelatin and boiling water until gelatin dissolves. Cool completely at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over cooled crust. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir orange sections into gelatin mixture. Carefully pour orange mixture over chilled cream cheese layer. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until firm. Salad may be chilled for up to 24 hours. To serve, cut into squares. If desired, garnish squares with quartered orange slices.
From the Test Kitchen
For a lighter recipe, substitute reduced-fat versions of the cream cheese and whipped dessert topping.
Nutrition Facts (Mandarin Cream Salad with Coconut-Crumb Crust)
- Per serving:
- 296 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 30 mg chol. ,
- 191 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.