Malted Chocolate Whoopie Pies
For the whoopies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the cavities of a cake ball pan with nonstick baking spray and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, malted milk powder, cocoa, baking powder, salt and instant espresso coffee powder. Whisk for 30 seconds to distribute the leavening. Set aside. Measure out the milk and add the vinegar and vanilla. Stir and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg, beating until combined. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk mixture to the butter mixture, adding about half with each addition. Beat until smooth after each addition.
- Add a slightly round tablespoon of the batter to each of the bottom cavities of the prepared cake ball pan. Add the top according to manufacturer's directions. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Remove top and remove cakes from pan. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan bring cream just to simmering. Remove from heat. Add white baking pieces. Let stand 5 minutes (do not stir). Stir until smooth. Stir in food coloring. Let stand or chill until firm enough to spread.
- Split each cake and spread ganache on bottoms of each. Add tops. Dust with powdered sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
Place filled whoopies between sheets on waxed paper in an airtight storage container. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Malted Chocolate Whoopie Pies)
- Per serving:
- 150 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 104 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.