Make it Mine Wine Jelly
- In a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot combine wine, lemon juice, and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar and peppercorns. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off any foam with a metal spoon.
- Ladle hot jelly into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
Spicy Zinfandel Jelly
Prepare as directed, except use Zinfandel wine for the rose and omit the peppercorns. Add 1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper after skimming off the foam.
Spiced Wine Jelly
Prepare as directed, except use Merlot for the rose and omit the peppercorns. Add two 3-inch cinnamon sticks and 5 whole cloves to the wine with the pectin. Use a slotted spoon to remove and discard the spices before filling jars.
Cardamom-Orange White Wine Jelly
Prepare as directed, except use a sweet white wine (such as Gewurztraminer) for the rose, use orange juice for the lemon juice, and omit the peppercorns. Place 12 broken cardamom pods and 6 orange peel strips in a double thickness of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth and tie closed with 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Add the bundle to the wine with the pectin. Remove and discard the bundle before filling jars.
Prepare as directed, except use Prosecco for the rose and reduce to 3 cups. Add 1/2 cup pomegranate juice with the wine. If desired, omit peppercorns.
Nutrition Facts (Make it Mine Wine Jelly)
- Per serving:
- 43 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 1 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.