Make-It-Mine Fork-Tender Pot Roast
- Trim fat from meat. In a large skillet cook meat in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Drain off fat.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and bay leaf. If necessary, cut meat in half to fit into cooker; place meat on top of vegetables. In a small bowl combine broth, wine, tapioca, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, pepper, dry mustard, paprika, and salt. Pour broth mixture over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours.
- Transfer meat to a serving platter. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to platter. Remove and discard bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Drizzle cooking liquid over meat and vegetables. If desired, serve with mashed potatoes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Make-It-Mine Alternate Ingredients:
Options for Celery: 1 cup sliced fennel, coarsely chopped kale, or sliced fresh mushrooms
Options for Carrots: 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped parsnips, turnip, or rutabaga; or peeled and cubed butternut squash, acorn squash, or beets
Options for Chopped Onion: 1 cup onion wedges, frozen small whole onions, sliced leeks, or sliced shallots
Options for Red Wine: 1/4 cup beef broth, apple juice, unsweetened cherry juice, cranberry juice, or apple-cranberry juice
Options for Tomato Paste: 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, reduced-sodium soy sauce, steak sauce, barbecue sauce, ketchup, or tomato paste with basil, garlic, and oregano
Options for Italian Seasoning: 1 tablespoon dried thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary, Mediterranean seasoning, or herbes de Provence
Nutrition Facts (Make-It-Mine Fork-Tender Pot Roast)
- Per serving:
- 308 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 125 mg chol. ,
- 364 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 43 g pro.