Make-It-Mine Fireside Beef Stew
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. Place meat in a 3-1/2- to 4-1/2-quart slow cooker. Add squash, onions, and garlic. Stir in broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, pepper, and allspice.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. In a small bowl combine cold water and cornstarch. Stir cornstarch mixture and green beans into mixture in cooker. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more or until thickened.
From the Test Kitchen
*Make-It-Mine Alternate Ingredients:
Options for Beef Pot Roast: 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat or lean boneless lamb
Options for Butternut Squash: 2 1/2 cups 1-inch pieces red-skinned potatoes, russet potatoes, or peeled parsnips, carrots, turnips, or rutabaga
Options for Onion Wedges: 1 cup shallot wedges, frozen small whole onions, sliced leeks, or sliced fennel
Options for Black Pepper: 1 to 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning, 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning, or 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper
Options for Allspice: 1 to 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning; 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin or garlic powder; 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander; or 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Options for Italian Green Beans: 1 1/2 cups frozen cut green beans, frozen whole kernel corn, frozen mixed vegetables, or frozen sweet pepper and onion stir-fry vegetables
Nutrition Facts (Make-It-Mine Fireside Beef Stew)
- Per serving:
- 208 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 74 mg chol. ,
- 457 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.