Make-Ahead Turkey Roll TV Dinner
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place turkey breast, skin side down, on a cutting board. Butterfly turkey by cutting breast in half horizontally, cutting almost to the opposite side. Spread open. Place turkey between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound turkey lightly until about 1/2 inch thick (about a 12x8-inch rectangle) Remove plastic wrap. Generously sprinkle turkey with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Place squash in a steamer basket in a medium saucepan. Add water to saucepan to just below the basket. Bring to boiling. Steam, covered, about 8 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from basket; mash slightly.
- Cover turkey with ham slices; top with squash. Sprinkle with cheese and pecans. Starting from a long side, roll up into a spiral with the skin on top. Tie at 1 1/2-inch intervals with 100% cotton kitchen string. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. In a small saucepan melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat; brush over turkey roll. Roast about 35 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in turkey registers 165 degrees F. Remove from oven; cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions, adding the dried cranberries with the rice. Spread in a shallow baking pan to cool quickly.
- For gravy, in the same small saucepan melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in bourbon and sage. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For thyme butter, in a small bowl combine the 3 tablespoons softened butter, the thyme, and lemon peel. Cover and chill until needed.
To assemble dinners:
- Remove string; cut turkey roll into 12 slices. In six 8x1-inch round or 8x8x1 3/4-inch square disposable foil pans* arrange turkey slices, rice, and frozen green beans. Spoon gravy over turkey. Top beans with thyme butter. Cover pans with plastic freezer wrap, then wrap completely in foil. Freeze for up to 4 months.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap from frozen dinner(s), then cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; bake about 20 minutes more or until heated through (165 degrees F).
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer, assemble dinners in six 2- or 3-compartment microwave-safe storage containers; seal and freeze for up to 4 months. To serve, remove lids from a frozen dinner and cover with vented plastic wrap or a paper towel. Microwave on defrost setting for 8 minutes, then on 100% power (high) for 4 to 6 minutes or until heated through, stirring rice and beans once.
You can also remove a frozen dinner from the foil pan and place on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with vented plastic wrap or a paper towel and microwave as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Turkey Roll TV Dinner)
- Per serving:
- 678 kcal ,
- 34 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 172 mg chol. ,
- 1108 mg sodium ,
- 41 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 53 g pro.