Make-Ahead Turkey-Lentil Sloppy Joes
- In a Dutch oven bring broth to boiling; stir in lentils. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander.
- In the same Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped yellow onions and carrots; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add ground turkey and garlic; cook until turkey is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat. Drain off any fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, olives, chili powder, and vinegar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in cooked lentils; cook about 2 minutes more or until heated through.
- Divide into four portions. If desired, serve one portion right away (see tip, below). Cool the remaining portions completely. Transfer each portion to a freezer bag or container; seal and freeze for up to 6 months.
- To serve, thaw one portion in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
To make sandwiches:
- Fill buns with sliced red onion (if desired), turkey mixture, and, if desired, Carrot-Date Slaw.
From the Test Kitchen
Continue as directed in Step 6.
- In a medium bowl whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, oil, and honey. Add carrots and dates; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Turkey-Lentil Sloppy Joes)
- Per serving:
- 288 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 635 mg sodium ,
- 41 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.