Recipes and Cooking Make-Ahead Turkey-Lentil Sloppy Joes 5.0 (1) 1 Review By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on June 7, 2021 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Blaine Moats Prep Time: 1 hr Heat Time: 5 mins Total Time: 1 hr Servings: 6 Yield: 6 sandwiches per portion (24 total) Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 2 32 ounce cartons reduced-sodium chicken broth 3 cup brown lentils 2 tablespoon olive oil 2 cup chopped yellow onions (2 large) 1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium) 2 pound ground turkey 6 cloves garlic, minced 1 28 ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes 1 6 ounce can tomato paste ⅔ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped ⅓ cup mild chili powder ¼ cup cider vinegar Sandwiches 6 sesame seed hamburger buns, split and toasted Thinly sliced red onion (optional) 1 recipe Carrot-Date Slaw (optional) Carrot-Date Slaw 2 teaspoon cider vinegar 2 teaspoon lemon juice 2 teaspoon olive oil 2 teaspoon honey 1 ½ cup shredded carrots (3 medium) 3 tablespoon slivered, pitted whole Medjool dates (3 medium) Directions In a Dutch oven bring broth to boiling; stir in lentils. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander. In the same Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped yellow onions and carrots; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add ground turkey and garlic; cook until turkey is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat. Drain off any fat. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, olives, chili powder, and vinegar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in cooked lentils; cook about 2 minutes more or until heated through. Divide into four portions. If desired, serve one portion right away (see tip, below). Cool the remaining portions completely. Transfer each portion to a freezer bag or container; seal and freeze for up to 6 months. To serve, thaw one portion in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. To make sandwiches: Fill buns with sliced red onion (if desired), turkey mixture, and, if desired, Carrot-Date Slaw. Carrot-Date Slaw In a medium bowl whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, oil, and honey. Add carrots and dates; toss to coat. Continue as directed in Step 6. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 288 Calories 6g Fat 41g Carbs 18g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 6 Calories 288 % Daily Value * Total Fat 6g 8% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 23mg 8% Sodium 635mg 28% Total Carbohydrate 41g 15% Total Sugars 6g Protein 18g Vitamin C 8.6mg 43% Calcium 113mg 9% Iron 4.3mg 24% Potassium 527mg 11% Folate, total 158.7mcg Vitamin B-12 0.5mcg Vitamin B-6 0.4mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.