Make-Ahead Turkey and Grilled Onion Panini
- Coat a grill pan with cooking spray; heat pan over medium heat. Add onion slices; cook about 8 minutes or until tender and lightly charred, turning once.* Separate onion slices into rings. In a small bowl toss together onion rings and Italian vinaigrette; cool.
- Fill rolls with turkey, onion rings, and cheese. Wrap each tightly with plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag; seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, remove desired number of sandwiches from freezer bags and unwrap. Thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Coat a panini press or covered indoor grill with cooking spray; preheat press. Place sandwich(es) in panini press. Cover and cook about 4 minutes or until cheese is melted and rolls are toasted.
From the Test Kitchen
Or preheat broiler. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place onion slices on the prepared baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender and lightly charred and tender, turning once.
You can get the packed-tight appeal of these sandwiches with two skillets. Place sandwich(es) in a coated and heated skillet. Place a large skillet on top of sandwich(es); add a few unopened cans of food to top skillet. Cook about 2 minutes; turn. Replace skillet and cans; cook about 2 minutes more or until done. These panini won't have the classic grill marks, but they will have the well-loved crisp, melty goodness.
Test Kitchen Tip
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Turkey and Grilled Onion Panini)
- Per serving:
- 235 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 40 mg chol. ,
- 800 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.