Make-Ahead Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs
- For meatballs, in a large bowl combine bulgur and 1/2 cup boiling water; let stand about 20 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Stir in egg, 1 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning, and the garlic. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- Lightly coat a very large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cook until browned, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, crushed red pepper (if desired), salt, and the remaining 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 7 to 10 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken and meatballs are done (160 degrees F). Cool completely.
- Transfer meatballs and sauce to a freezer container; seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw meatballs and sauce in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
- Lightly coat the inside of spaghetti squash with cooking spray. Place squash halves, cut sides down, in a microwave-safe baking dish; add 1/4 cup water. Microwave, covered, on 100% power (high) about 15 minutes or until tender.* Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, transfer meatballs and sauce to a large saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through. Using a fork, remove squash pulp from shells. Serve meatballs and sauce over squash. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and, if desired, basil.
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer to bake the spaghetti squash, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat the inside of squash with cooking spray. Place squash halves, cut sides down, in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs)
- Per serving:
- 281 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 75 mg chol. ,
- 809 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.