Make-Ahead Southern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Grape Relish
- Place onions in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with chicken. In a small bowl combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon. Using two forks, shred chicken. In a very large bowl combine chicken and onions. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir enough cooking liquid (about 1/2 cup) into chicken mixture to moisten. Stir in barbecue sauce.
- Divide chicken mixture into four portions. If desired, serve one portion right away (see tip, below). Cool the remaining portions completely. Transfer each portion to a freezer bag or container; seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw one portion in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a medium saucepan; stir in the water. Cook, covered, over medium heat about 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
To make sandwiches:
- Fill buns with chicken mixture and Green Grape Relish.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Continue as directed in Step 6.
For Easy Cleanup:
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Green Grape Relish
- In a small bowl toss together grapes, cucumber, onion, sweet pepper, honey, jalapeno pepper, and mint.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Southern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Grape Relish)
- Per serving:
- 317 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 106 mg chol. ,
- 558 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.