- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1-1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, and salt; add warm water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease two baking sheets and, if desired, sprinkle with cornmeal; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Build up edges slightly; prick bottoms of crusts with a fork. Do not let rise. Bake about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
- Place each crust on a tray or platter. Top with Quick Pizza Sauce, spreading into a thin layer. Sprinkle with cheese and top with pepperoni. Freeze pizzas on trays about 1 hour or until firm. Transfer to freezer bags; seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place frozen pizzas on baking sheets. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until pizzas are heated through and cheese is golden. Cut each pizza into 8 wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except omit pepperoni and add 3 cups assorted vegetables, such as chopped onion, sliced fresh mushrooms, sliced olives, chopped sweet peppers, and/or chopped tomatoes.
Nutrition per serving: 142 calories, 6 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 4% Vitamin A, 10% Vitamin C, 258 mg sodium, 12% calcium, 6% iron
Taco Pizza: Prepare as directed, except substitute salsa for the Quick Pizza Sauce; 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained, for the pepperroni; and shredded cheddar cheese for the mozzarella cheese. Stir 1/2 cup salsa into the cooked and drained ground beef. Continue as directed. Serve topped with 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, and 1/2 cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips.
Nutrition per serving: 233 calories, 11 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 14% Vitamin A, 7% Vitamin C, 284 mg sodium, 11% calcium, 9% iron
By the Slice:
Prepare as directed, except once crust is baked and covered with sauce but before it is topped, cut into four slices. Top slices with cheese and pepperoni and freeze until firm. Wrap each slice in plastic wrap and place in a slice box or freezer bag; seal and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Unwrap desired number of slices and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is golden.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Pizzas)
- Per serving:
- 145 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 276 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.