Make-Ahead Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Drain clams, discarding juice or reserving for another use. Set clams aside.
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, onion, and carrot; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 cups broth and bottled clam juice. Stir in potatoes, tomato paste, thyme, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in clams and tomatoes. Cool completely.
- Transfer soup to a freezer container; seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. Transfer soup to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Top each serving with bacon.
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer to cook your own bacon, cook 4 slices, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Omit oil. Cook the celery, onion, and carrot in the reserved drippings.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Manhattan Clam Chowder)
- Per serving:
- 409 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 78 mg chol. ,
- 1088 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 42 g pro.