Make-Ahead Lemongrass Pork Bahn Mi
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat crosswise into four portions. Butterfly each portion by cutting meat in half horizontally, cutting from the thicker side almost to the opposite side. Spread open. Place each portion in a 1-gallon freezer bag.
- Remove the tough outer layers from lemongrass. Crush stalks with the flat side of a knife; coarsely chop lemongrass.
- For marinade, in a medium bowl combine lemongrass, rice wine, soy sauce, white onion, green onions, brown sugar, and garlic. Pour marinade over meat in bags. Seal bags; turn to coat meat. If desired, prepare one portion right away (see tip, below). Freeze the remaining portions for up to 3 months.
- To serve, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer one portion frozen meat with marinade to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Roast for 50 to 60 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 145 degrees F, turning once halfway through roasting. Transfer meat to a cutting board; discard marinade. Cover meat with foil; let stand for 10 minutes (temperature of the meat will rise during standing). Meanwhile, prepare Vietnamese Quick Pickle.
To make sandwiches:
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise and chili sauce. Split rolls, cutting almost to the opposite sides. Spread cut sides with mayonnaise mixture.
- Thinly slice meat. Fill rolls with meat. Add spinach, cilantro, jalapeno pepper (if desired), and Vietnamese Quick Pickle. Drizzle lightly with the reserved vinegar mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Continue as directed in Step 4, except roast chilled meat with marinade for 30 to 40 minutes.
Vietnamese Quick Pickle
- In a small bowl combine sugar, vinegar, and salt. Add carrot, daikon, cucumber, and onion; toss to coat. Cover and marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, tossing once. Drain, reserving vinegar mixture.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Lemongrass Pork Bahn Mi)
- Per serving:
- 833 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 13 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 83 mg chol. ,
- 1612 mg sodium ,
- 102 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 45 g pro.