Make-Ahead Indian Butter Chicken TV Dinner
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two 15x10x1-inch baking pans with foil; set aside. Place chicken in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine garam masala, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cayenne pepper. Reserve 2 teaspoons of the spice mixture for sauce. Sprinkle chicken with the remaining mixture; toss to coat.
- Divide chicken among the prepared baking pans. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until done (at least 175 degrees F). Remove from oven; cool.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, place tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. In a large saucepan melt the 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the 1/2 cup onion and garlic; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the reserved spice mixture; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in pureed tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in coconut milk. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until sauce reaches desired consistency; cool.
- For turmeric rice, in a medium saucepan bring the water to boiling. Stir in rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and turmeric. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 17 minutes (rice should be a bit underdone). Spread in a shallow baking pan to cool quickly. Stir in green onions.
- For cumin butter, in a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup softened butter and cumin seeds. Cover and chill until needed.
To assemble dinners:
- Using six 8x1-inch round or 8x8x1 3/4-inch square disposable foil pans* line bottoms of pans with freezer plastic wrap, extending the wrap to one side so there is enough to fold over the top of the food. Arrange chicken, rice, and frozen cauliflower in prepared pans. Spoon sauce over chicken. Top cauliflower with cumin butter. Fold freezer plastic wrap over the food, then wrap completely in foil. Freeze for up to 4 months.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove foil from TV dinner. Lift the dinner from the pan with the plastic wrap and remove the plastic wrap, returning the food to the pan. Cover TV dinner with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil; bake for 10 to15 minutes more or until heated through (165 degrees F).
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer, assemble dinners in six 2- or 3-compartment microwave-safe storage containers; seal and freeze for up to 4 months. To serve, remove lids from a frozen dinner and cover with vented plastic wrap or a paper towel. Microwave on defrost setting for 12 minutes, then on 100% power (high) for 4 to 6 minutes or until heated through, stirring rice and cauliflower once.
You can also remove a frozen dinner from the foil pan and place on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with vented plastic wrap or a paper towel and microwave as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Indian Butter Chicken TV Dinner)
- Per serving:
- 615 kcal ,
- 31 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 243 mg chol. ,
- 1253 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 50 g pro.