Make-Ahead Chicken Enchiladas
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion and garlic; cook about 6 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Cook until mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring frequently. Gradually add cheese blend, stirring until melted.
- For filling, in a medium bowl combine beans and Shredded Chicken. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Cheesy Sauce, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and the green chile peppers.
- To assemble enchiladas, place about 1/2 cup of the filling on each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and place, seam sides down, in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish.* Top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Cover baking dish with plastic wrap or foil. Place casserole in a resealable freezer bag. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap or foil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 to 20 minutes of baking. If desired, serve with assorted toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
If tortillas are not pliable enough to roll up easily, place tortillas between paper towels and microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 20 to 40 seconds.
To avoid tying up the baking dish in the freezer for weeks, try this method. Line a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with plastic wrap. Prepare the casserole using the lined dish and freeze overnight. When frozen, lift out the plastic wrap-lined food, place it in the freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to thaw, remove the plastic wrap and return the food to the original baking dish. Thaw and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Chicken Enchiladas)
- Per serving:
- 995 kcal ,
- 49 g fat
- (24 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 201 mg chol. ,
- 2262 mg sodium ,
- 84 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 59 g pro.