Macaroni and Cheese Meat Loaf
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Poke several holes in the bottom of a disposable 8x8-inch foil pan; set aside. In a medium skillet cook 1/2 cup of the onion, the poblano pepper, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or just until onion is tender. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine egg, salt, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and cooked onion mixture. Add ground beef and ground pork; mix well. Cover and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add the remaining 1/2 cup onion; cook until onion is tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk and broth. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Pat half of the meat mixture into the prepared foil pan. Spoon pasta mixture over meat mixture in pan. Top with spoonfuls of the remaining meat mixture and carefully spread over pasta mixture to cover. Place foil pan on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together barbecue sauce and adobo sauce; brush over top of meat loaf. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160 degrees F. Remove from roasting pan and cool in foil pan for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Tomato-Avocado Salad. To serve, carefully cut away the foil pan from meat loaf. Place meat loaf on a serving platter; cut into squares. Serve with salad.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Macaroni and Cheese Meat Loaf)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 97 mg chol. ,
- 563 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.