Mac and Cheese Base
- In a heavy medium saucepan heat milk over medium heat until heated through but not boiling; reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- In another medium saucepan heat butter over medium-low heat until melted. Whisk in flour. Cook and whisk constantly for 3 minutes.
- Remove the butter/flour mixture from the heat. Stir in salt. Slowly and carefully whisk in the warm milk about 1/2 cup at a time.*
- When the sauce is no longer thickening (after adding about 1 1/2 to 2 cups milk), place saucepan over medium heat.
- Continue adding warm milk, 1/2 cup at a time. For a thicker sauce, do not add all of the 2 1/2 cups milk. For a thinner sauce, add all of the milk. Continue to heat and whisk for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce is the desired consistency. (Sauce will thicken more when cheese is added.)
From the Test Kitchen
If you add the milk too quickly, the sauce will not thicken; if you add it too slowly, the sauce will thicken too quickly.
Nutrition Facts (Mac and Cheese Base)
- Per serving:
- 627 kcal ,
- 43 g fat
- (26 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 122 mg chol. ,
- 829 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.